Helping rail freight deliver: Influencing the Williams Review
The government is currently working on a fundamental, long-term review of Britain’s railways - the Williams Review. Logistics UK is campaigning to ensure the review puts freight at the heart of UK rail. We have focused our campaign on five key asks:
- Unlock rail capacity: Improve the way capacity is allocated to ensure the best use is made of the railway, taking into account the environmental, social and economic benefits of rail
- Offer contractual flexibility: Allow freight to grow to meet customer demand by bringing in greater flexibility to passenger rail contracts
- Uphold national network integrity: In an increasingly devolved railway it is crucial to retain a central System Operator function to allow national freight operations to continue
- Maintain corporate independence: Maintain transparency and equal treatment for all operators by ensuring Network Rail retains its corporate independence from passenger operators.
- Incentivise regional growth: Build on progress in Scotland by introducing growth targets for rail freight across Network Rail regions and routes
For more information please see our recent press article on our five key asks, and please get involved in our Rail Council to join the campaign.