Air Quality Restrictions
This chapter covers the implementation dates, vehicle requirements, access charges and enforcement of the London Low Emission Zone (LEZ) and Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ). It does not currently include Clean Air Zone (CAZs), as the details and scope of these are still to be confirmed – for the latest information on CAZs, please see FTA’s member-only briefing note - CAZ Briefing Zone.
Updates for 2020:
- ULEZ has now been implemented.
- Emission Surcharge removed, as this has now been replaced by the ULEZ.
- The retrofit options available for HGVs.
Updates for 2021:
Updated reference point for information on Clean Air Zones
Confirmation of the delayed start date for the tightening of the London-wide LEZ to 1 March 2021.
Updated levels of penalties
Inclusion of level of penalties for Low Emission Zones.
- London Low Emission Zone and Ultra-Low Emission Zone.
- Implementation table.
- Discounts and exemptions.
- Pollution abatement equipment and retrofit.
- Access charges (LEZ).
Download the air quality restrictions chapter of the Yearbook of Road Transport Law