Vehicle recovery

The police and Highways Agency (HA) have the power to remove, store and in some cases dispose of abandoned vehicles from England's motorways and trunk roads.

Charges for this service apply to both England and Wales. However, traffic officer duties only apply to England. There are separate arrangements in Scotland, while Northern Ireland doesn’t have any statutory charges for vehicle removal. You’re encouraged by the Highways Agency to use your own recovery service where available.

Use the downloadable documents and links below for more information on vehicle recovery.

Electronic Service Delivery of Abnormal Loads

Abnormal Invisible Loads (AIL) Forms

Highways Agency National Vehicle Recovery Project