Weight and dimensions of vehicles
This chapter covers the regulations on Construction and Use (C&U) and Authorised Weight (AW) rules for different vehicles, plus axle weight limits and vehicle dimensions (including overall length, width, height and turning circle).
Updates for 2020:
- Addition to maximum overall length for an articulated HGV carrying containers.
Updates for 2021:
Alternative (low carbon) fuels.
Additional weight allowance.
Cranes in relation to overall length defined.
- Vehicle weights.
- 44 tonnes operation.
- Axle weight limits.
- Bogie weights – construction and use regulations.
- Two closely spaced axles.
- Three closely spaced axles.
- Bogie weights – authorised weights regulations.
- Weight by reference to axle spacing – authorised weight regulations.
- Vehicle dimensions.
- Overall length.
- Turning circle.
- Long vehicles and loads.
- Overall width.
- Width of load.
- Minimum ground clearance.
- Government trial of longer semi-trailers.
Download the Weight and dimensions of vehicles chapter of the Yearbook of Road Transport Law